Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:26:58 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Charles Patridge <Charles_S_Patridge@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      To Authors of SAS Tips and Techniques on SCONSIG.com

To Authors of SAS Tips and Techniques on SCONSIG.com

Sorry, about re-posting this but I wanted to make sure as many authors of these tips read this posting so they can decide what you wish to do about this issue at hand.

Regrets for re-posting, Charles Patridge

AZ DataClinic, Inc., a data consulting company. Email: admin@azdataclinic.com Web: http://www.azdataclinic.com

Dear AZ DataClinic Representative,

It was brought to my attention that your web site (http://www.azdataclinic.com) "borrowed" many of the SAS Tips and Techniques that reside on the SCONSIG.com website.

I am flattered that you felt the materials you openly copied from SCONSIG.com worth the risk in possibly violating copyright laws without asking for permission from the owner of SCONSIG.com which happens to be me. Since many of these Tips were written by other individuals who provided me with their permission and trust to post their "works of art" on the SCONSIG.com, I must request on their behalf to remove these tips from your site until you can furnish legal documents proving that you have received their permission to re-publish their intellectual property. Secondly, I do not wish to jeopardize my relationship and trust with these people because someone feels free to post their creations without FULL ACKNOWLEDGMENT of AUTHORSHIP.

I am sure you meant no harm but you should realize that the compilation time needed to produce such materials involves thousands of hours of "good intentions", hard work, and considerable intellectual creativity. And I am sure these people, including myself, expect "credit" for their creativity and willingness to share their efforts to the SAS community at large.

And since you did not request permission to do so, I must request that you immediately remove any tips on the AZ DataClinic website which bears my name as author. If you had asked for permission before doing so, I would have granted permission to "LINK" to SCONSIG.com but not actually copied the articles in question. My reason for not allowing to re-publish these "works of arts" is to ensure the authenticity of the authors and their actual code in case any changes are necessary to correct or update logic in the future as well as reduce my effort in making sure all copies are updated.

The next time you wish to use someone else's "works of art", I suggest you simply ask for permission first - the SAS community is very willing to share their knowledge and efforts, including myself.

Please acknowledge receipt of this email and inform me as to when I can expect compliance to my request.

Kind Regards,

Charles Patridge 172 Monce Road Burlington, CT 06013 Phone: 860-673-9278 www.SCONSIG.com Email: Charles_S_Patridge@prodigy.net

cc: Shipman and Goodwin Attorneys at Law 1 American Row Hartford, CT 06103

PS, I am posting this email message to the SAS-L bulletin board to let the authors of these "works of art" know that their creations have been copied to a web site that may not have asked for their permission to re-publish their articles. And as a Consulting Company, I would have expected that you would known the proper procedures in publishing someone else's articles - how would you feel if someone took your training materials and freely posted them onto the internet so others could see, read and "borrow" your hard work without paying or receiving credit for them?