Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:20:54 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Chakravarthy, Venky" <Venky.Chakravarthy@PFIZER.COM>
Subject:      Re: "safe" merging?
Comments: To: "roland.rashleigh-berry" <roland.rashleigh-berry@NTLWORLD.COM>

This still won't completely address the problem but using MSGLEVEL = I gives a lot more information in recent versions. One of those improvements shows up in conducting a MERGE. See the INFO line below:

data q ; a = 1 ; b = 1 ; run ;

data r ; a = 1 ; b = 2 ; run ;

options msglevel = i ; data w ; merge q r ; by a ; run ;

INFO: The variable B on data set WORK.Q will be overwritten by data set WORK.R.

Kind Regards, __________________________ Venky Chakravarthy E-mail: swovcc@hotmail.com

-----Original Message----- From: roland.rashleigh-berry [mailto:roland.rashleigh-berry@NTLWORLD.COM] Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 1:01 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: "safe" merging?

Does anyone have some code they will share for doing a "safe" merge? By "safe" merge I mean that if there are identical variables in the second dataset then they will not get used. I know this is the case with SQL merges but then you get these stupid warning messages coming out if the same variable is in the second dataset. These warning messages are a nuisance for Clinical reporting because you have got to check every one of the damn things. I don't know any way to suppress them, though they are easy enough to identify. It just would be nicer if they weren't there.

Any ideas?