Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:15:38 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Huck <huck@FINN.NOSPAM.COM>
Subject:      Re: How to write multiple dest. records from a single source?

On 25 Oct 2002 06:50:23 -0700, predictr@bellatlantic.net (Will Dwinnell) wrote:

>I was hoping someone could at least get me started with solving this >problem: > >The source data set has 300 columns, which represent 3 measurements on >100 distinct items. The destination data set should have 3 columns >(one for each measurement) and 100 times the number of records as the >source. So, the first record in the destination data set will have 3 >fields: fields number 1, 101 and 201 from the first record of the >source data set. The second record of the destination data set will >have fields 2, 102 and 202 from the first record of the source data >set, and so on. >

if the vars are x1-x100 x101-x200 and x201-x300 im in favor of the following technique

data out(drop=x1-x300 _i_ ); set in; array xs(100) x1-x100; array ys(100) x101-x200; array zs(100) x201-x300;

do _i_=1 to 100; newx=xs(_i)); newy=ys(_i)); newz=zs(_i)); OUTPUT; end; run;

>I have looked through the SAS help a little, and thought that I might >be able to use ARRAYs with TRANSPOSE, but I'm not sure how to output >multiple records from a single source record. Any suggestions?

the key is the word in CAPS above... OUTPUT, which puts out a record under programers control.