Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:55:16 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Fehd, Ronald J. (PHPPO)" <rjf2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Old Macro Code (maybe V5)

my macro experience doesn't go back quite as far as my SAS experience so read the .sig carefully

A little birdie tweets thusly:

There will Beano disallowance of old-style macros for these simple factoids:

* Why provide an option to turn off what you don't know is on? (mild translation: 'is no longer thoroughly documented' except on the World's Greatest SAS language user group list)

* It would cost more, to us, and eventually to you (read: increase licensing fee) to check whether you're using something that nobody has read about than it does now for us to see whether you are in fact using something that you don't know how to maintain.

* see Number 1 and 2, reworded to emphasize the fact that giving us the option to turn off what we didn't know we had might break something -- read: our programs -- that of course, TechSupport would not be able to provide assistance for, since it's not 'there'.

To paraphrase the old quote: "If it ain't documented, we don't fix it."

Oh, that one goes in the quote file, for sure. ;-)

Ron Fehd the modern macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov

If you think I know what I'm doing it's probably because you know even less about it. -- Pot-Shots by Ashleigh Brilliant