Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:55:53 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Mike Rhoads <RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:   Re: MEANS/SUMMARY Output Datasets (Long)
Comments:   To: "Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV" <Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV>

Howard,

I think the discrepancy between what would expect from the MEANS/SUMMARY ODS output data set (given the appearance of the report output) and the actual structure of the output data set, is that the latter actually represents the structure of the ODS table, while trickery is involved in the former.

The table template gives each statistic its own column, which is the "spread" layout that one gets in the output data set:

column class nobs id type ways (varname) (label) (min) (max) (range) (n) (nmiss) (sumwgt) (sum) (mean) (uss) (css) (var) (stddev) (cv) (stderr) (t) (probt) (lclm) (uclm) (skew) (kurt) (median) (mode) (q1) (q3) (qrange) (p1) (p5) (p10) (p25) (p50) (p75) (p90) (p95) (p99);

Note the parens around the names in the column statement. According to something I found in TFM, "If a column name appears in parentheses, PROC TEMPLATE stacks the values of all variables that use that column definition one below the other in the output object." This would explain why the listing output looks as it does. Presumably the original column definitions, rather than the "restacked" table, is used for the output data set.

I agree with your conclusion ("ODS can't help here").

Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com

-----Original Message----- From: Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV [mailto:Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV] Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 4:12 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: MEANS/SUMMARY Output Datasets (Long)

The thing I'm really wondering about is why ODS behaves as it does, and whether there is a way to make it produce a different structure for the OUTPUT destination.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:13:49 -0400, Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV wrote:

>Summary: Output datasets from MEANS/SUMMARY do not in general have a >convenient structure. ODS seems to have a parallel deficiency. > >I started looking hard at this last week in an attempt to assist a >colleague. I thought I'd find an easy fix, but I don't see it yet. >Perhaps I'm missing something. > >The problem arises when PROC MEANS (or SUMMARY) is asked to produce >multiple statistics for multiple analysis variables. The issue is the >shape of the output dataset. > >Here is the input dataset I will use to illustrate. > > data test; > input var1 var2; > cards; > 1 2 > 3 8 > 3 6 > ; > >Suppose I need the MIN and MAX stats for both variables. That's easy to do: > > proc means data=test noprint; > output out=meansout(drop=_type_ _freq_) min= max= / autoname; > run; > >The result: > > var1_Min var2_Min var1_Max var2_Max > > 1 2 3 8 > >The output is in what I call the "spread" shape, with a single >observation holding all of the results (or, more generally, a single >observation for each CLASS level for each CLASS intersection type in >each BY group). > >But that's not a particularly handy structure.

[snip]