Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:10:56 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kevin Myers <KevinMyers@AUSTIN.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS Character missing to DB2 NULL

I found the following info concerning the NULLCHAR= data set option in the Online Help. Hope this helps. s/KAM

NULLCHAR= ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

The NULLCHAR= data set option indicates how SAS character missing values are handled during insert, update, DBINDEX=, and DBKEY= processing. Valid in: DATA and PROC steps (when accessing DBMS data using SAS/ACCESS software) DBMS support: CA-OpenIngres, DB2 OS/390, DB2 Unix/PC, DB2 VM, Informix, ODBC, OLE DB, ORACLE, Oracle Rdb, SQL Server, SYBASE, Teradata Default value: SAS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

Syntax NULLCHAR= SAS | YES | NO

Syntax Description

SAS indicates that character missing values in SAS data sets are treated as NULL values if the DBMS allows NULLs. Otherwise, character missing values are treated as the NULLCHARVAL= value.

YES indicates that character missing values in SAS data sets are treated as NULL values if the DBMS allows NULLs. Otherwise, an error is returned.

NO indicates that character missing values in SAS data sets are treated as the NULLCHARVAL= value (regardless of whether the DBMS allows NULLs for the column).

Details

This option affects insert and update processing and also applies when you use the DBINDEX= and DBKEY= options.

This option works in conjunction with the NULLCHARVAL= data set option, which determines what is inserted when NULL values are not allowed.

All SAS numeric missing values (represented in SAS as '.') are treated by the DBMS as NULLs.

ORACLE Details: See ORACLE BULKLOAD Interactions with Other Options for interactions between NULLCHAR and BULKLOAD=. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

See Also

NULLCHARVAL= DBNULL=

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael S. Zdeb" <msz03@health.state.ny.us> To: "Kevin Myers" <KevinMyers@AUSTIN.RR.COM>; <slap_u_silly_2000@YAHOO.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 2:49 PM Subject: Re: SAS Character missing to DB2 NULL