Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002)Back to main CICS-L pageJoin or leave CICS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:04:32 -0500
Sender:   CICS List <CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Kittendorf, Craig" <kittendorf.craig@MAIL.DC.STATE.FL.US>
Subject:   Re: slow response of TCP/IP attached CICS printers??

With InfoPrint (IP PrintWay and NetSpool) you also need to consider how many FSS's and FSA's (JES2 PRT) are being used. The more printers you want to print concurrently, the more FSA's you need.

-----Original Message----- From: Charles Scott [mailto:CScott@OVERNITE.COM] Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 3:34 PM To: CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: slow response of TCP/IP attached CICS printers??

We have the same Netspool/IP printway set up. And found a significant delay in print starting at the printer after being requested. by significant, I mean 5 to 20 seconds where before our users experienced the print starting almost immediately. Same sort of delays being experienced in printer commands...

Charles

Scott Trost <Trosts@SCHNEIDER.COM> Sent by: CICS List <CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

11/06/02 03:23 PM Please respond to CICS List

To: CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc: Subject: Re: slow response of TCP/IP attached CICS printers??

We saw a similar thing with Netspool and IP Printway. The "old way", you had CICS and VTAM (both high priority). Now we have CICS to Netspool to get the print to the JES spool, then IP Printway to route it over IP to the printer. More STCs to hop through. TCP/IP is high priority, but can you justify having STCs that exist solely for batch print at the same high priority? Probably somewhat similar situation with VPS. Just my thoughts on the matter...

Greg Shirey <WGShirey@BEKCO To: CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU .COM> cc: Sent by: CICS Fax to: List Subject: Re: slow response of TCP/IP attached CICS printers?? <CICS-L@LISTSER V.UGA.EDU>

11/06/2002 08:24 AM Please respond to CICS List

Because your IP network is slower than your SNA network? More traffic on the IP network? VPS runs in a service class with low importance?

Greg

-----Original Message----- From: Kashif Langley [mailto:kw_99@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 3:28 AM

I have been following this debate about tcp/ip printers. We are a Z/OS shop with CICS ts13 and have DRS/VPS. But since we have migrated from mainframe to TCP/IP our users are complaining about printer performance. Does anybody any idea why our printers have gone slow since migration.

[text/html]