Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002)Back to main CICS-L pageJoin or leave CICS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:54:45 +0100
Sender:       CICS List <CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Robert Bardos <Robert.Bardos@ZUGERKB.CH>
Subject:      Re: Started tasks initiation

Hi Millie.

The first question is (and I suppose the answer is yes): does Control-M have to know about the state of the respective CICS regions?

If the answer were 'no' then - as has been suggested - having CICS write out a message that gets picked up by your automation package would be the way to go.

If Control-M (where 5.0.4 was the last version I worked with) has to know then it either 'informs itself' by means of the CMEM subsystem mechanism (which in its simplest form can react to an IEFBR14 job where the jobname is used as trigger) or has to be informed by IOASET as you wrote.

IIRC there is also the possibility to have your CICS region submit a job that invokes the vendor supplied KSL routine CTMSUB (through procedure CTMRKSL?/IOARKSL?). This way you would be using Control-M's job/stc submission mechanisms with many of its bells and whistles. You might want to look into this as well.

That's about all I remember after not having worked with Control-M for more than a year.

HTH ... Robert

-----Original Message----- From: Millie Rivero [mailto:mrivero@PRINCESSCRUISES.COM] Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 5:54 PM

Hi Robert.

What I'm thinking about doing now is to submit a job from CICS, which executes a proc that executes Control-M's IOSET to post a "region up" event which will trigger another Control-M job to start up the next region, and so on. Sounds to me like a complicated deal. There is got to be a better way for me to do this.

TIA -Millie

Hi Millie,

Just one more suggestion:

Control-M has a feature once called CMEM (Control-M Event Manager) that can react to events like a dataset being cataloged/deleted and a few others. You could pretty well use this feature to launch your started task indirectly that is by submitting a job from a CICS program that triggers one of the events that CMEM can react to.

PS: this statement is based on memory and that - as we all know - tends to fade away. But the feature should be there. It's name might have changed.

Robert

-----Original Message----- From: Millie Rivero [mailto:mrivero@PRINCESSCRUISES.COM] Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 6:26 PM

<partially snipped> My dilemma is that we are migrating to a new scheduling package, Control-M. Our old scheduler had a feature where you could schedule events based on console messages. I'm trying to find a way to schedule the recycling of non-production regions via Control-M. We do have Candle's AF/Operator. I'm looking at using it instead of the batch scheduler. Millie

> > Is is possible to start up an MVS task from a CICS program ? We > submit jobs to Jes via the SPOOL API commands, but we have one case > where we need the job to actually be a started task. > > TIA - Millie > </partially snipped>

Sicherheitsmeldung: Diese Mitteilung ist ungeschuetzt und koennte waehrend der Uebermittlung von Dritten eingesehen und veraendert werden. Der Absender uebernimmt deshalb fuer den Inhalt keine Haftung. Sollten Sie diese Mitteilung irrtuemlich erhalten haben, bitten wir Sie, den Absender zu informieren und die Mitteilung in Ihrem System zu loeschen. Security Message: The information transmitted is unsecured and could be reviewed or changed by an unauthorized third party. The sender therefore does not accept any liability for its content. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.