Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002)Back to main CICS-L pageJoin or leave CICS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:30:46 -0500
Sender:       CICS List <CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Real Longchamps <longlac@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: A Cobol linkage section

Eugene,

Linkage Section is used to reference data areas residing outside your program; since these areas are not really in your program, there is really no limit.

COBOL for OS/390 & VM will impose the following limits to COBOL programmer:

999,999 lines of code 16M for 01-levels 128M for Working-storage size 128M for Linkage section size

The 32K limit on commareas are strictly a CICS thing.

Real Longchamps Longchamps Informatique Inc www.longchamps-info.com

-----Original Message----- From: CICS List [mailto:CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Eugene S. Hudders Sent: 1 novembre, 2002 16:23 To: CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: A Cobol linkage section

Hi Paul:

I'm not sure why this question has tilted towards the COMMAREA size in the Linkage Section but Sergio's question was "Anybody know if have limit of size in the Linkage Section of Cobol ? If yes, what are the size ?".

We have a system developed under CICS that has a 16 MB Working-Storage in the main program and is accessed by other called programs in the Linkage Section. The COMMAREA limit is 32KB but I don't believe that this was Sergio's question.

Regards, Gene

-----Original Message----- From: CICS List [mailto:CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Hanrahan, Paul Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 4:17 PM To: CICS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: A Cobol linkage section

Hi,

For practical purposes there's a 32K limit in CICS for the commarea even if it's only a 32bit address pointer in the linkage section that references something larger. Sometimes I've run into programs that mix their CICS and batch type processing so the commarea overlaps or is immediately adjacent to another area and the entire thing gets passed on a call.

I know it's ugly but it happens. Last time I saw it was 1998 doing a y2k macro to command level conversion in assembler.

paul