Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:49:33 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Stefan Gildemeister <Stefan.Gildemeister@state.mn.us>
Subject:      string to numeric to string

This is a relatively elementary problem, but the direction in the syntax guide does appear somewhat contradictory. I have numbers stored as string and I'd like to convert them into a numeric format without having to recode each string value to its appropriete numeric value.

One way is to just turn the "type" switch in the variable view. This works but is crude and it seemingly cannot be done in syntax. Issuing the "number" command gives me an error message: >Warning # 3240. Command name: NUMBER >NUMBERED This command is no longer supported.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated, especially, if it also contained a way to turn a numeric format into a string. Thanks,

Stefan Gildemeister Research Scientist/Economist. MN Department of Health - Health Economics 121 East Seventh Place, Suite 400 St. Paul, MN 55101 phone: 651.282.6346 fax: 651-282-5628 e-mail: Stefan.Gildemeister@health.state.mn.us web: www.health.state.mn.us =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=