Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:39:02 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Paul McDonald <pdm@SPIKEWARE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Set statement bug?

Thanks, John... and your comments are coming across as very kind, as I hope mine are too!

I'm quoting you here: "I really think there is only ONE reason to 'avoid' them - namely if the person writing the code isn't confident enough that (s)he understands the SET statement well enough to know (i.e. 'be able to predict') how that code will behave."

I tend to look at things from another angle. If you join me from this viewpoint, I think you will then understand why I make comments like I do. And to express my viewpoint, I want to build on your statement above.

I believe there is another reason not to get too complex with SAS code - and that is if the person writing the code isn't confident enough that the end user or supporter of the production code will understand the SAS code.

In summary, I don't write code based on whether or not I will understand it, but whether or not someone else will understand it.

Separately, I would like to see a case where it would be a good idea to use more than one SET statement in the same data step!

Paul D. McDonald, CEO SPIKEware, Inc. --------------------- Get Free SAS Programming Tutorials and Cool SAS Macros! http://www.spikeware.com/