Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:35:09 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV
Subject:      Re: To and Fro Mnemonic, Numeric and Character

I've never tried to memorize SAS syntax details. It's easy enough to look them up.

That is, it's easy if you know the name of the procedure or statement or function or format or whatever. If you don't know that much, it can be rough.

So I would say it's most important to remember which is which, regarding the INPUT and PUT functions. What helps me is to remember the close parallel to the INPUT and PUT *statements*. The INPUT statement is for reading external files, where typically you have numeric data in character representation and need to convert to binary representation. The PUT statement generally does the opposite. So the INPUT function uses an informat to convert character to numeric, while the PUT function uses a format to convert numeric to character.

Another suggestion: use the online *doc* rather than help. It's available on the web. But you work at what must be among the biggest SAS customer sites, so it is probably on one or more internal servers.