Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:11:29 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         alejandro.jaramillo@ATT.NET
Subject:      Re: Set statement bug?

Ladies and Gentleman, I find the information exchange about the set statement very interesting. Please don't get personal, keep a good spirit and let's move on.

These is my one cent.

Alejandro > On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:10:49 -0500, Ian Whitlock <WHITLOI1@WESTAT.COM> > wrote: > > >Paul, > > > >You have a style of making pronouncements as if they were true. I have > >examined some of them below from my point of view. I ask each reader to > >draw his/her own conclusions about both points of view and then to > >continually reconfirm them as new programming experiences dictate. All of > >my paragraphs begin with ***. > > > >IanWhitlock@westat.com > > > > > Perhaps a better way to phrase that is "I have a style of sticking my foot > in my mouth" (which anyone who knows me would shrug and say, "yeah...") > > When I started posting on this "multiple SET statement" stuff, I really did > not realize that most of the people on this board actually know how SAS > works. I unfortunately spend most of my day showing people how to use PROC > CONTENTS and PROC SORT (with the occasional PROC FREQ). My first reaction > is to keep anyone from doing anything that they can't handle, and to play > defensive on the use of SAS software. > > > > >"Unpredictable" certainly was the incorrect choice for a word, because SAS > >is always predictible if you know everything. But then if you knew > >everything, you wouldn't need to write a SAS program to analyze the data! > > > >HOWEVER, I would still stray away from using multiple SET statements in the > >same data step for the following reasons: > > > >1) Observations from the end of one or more input data sets will be > >deleted from the output data set unless all input data sets have the same > >number of observations. > > > >*** False as shown by > > > > data all ; /* eofa and eofb are not on a or b */ > > do until ( eofa ) ; set a end = eofa ; output ; end ; > > do until ( eofb ) ; set b end = eofb ; output ; end ; > > run ; > > > Yeah, if you put other conditions in data step. I posted my log on my test > job for this earlier, and the two methods of coding produced different > results. > > Here's a question: why would you want to do that when you can have just > one SET statement with two data sets and avoid the DO UNTIL loops? > Practical example please. > > > >2) Combining several data sets into one data set with multiple SET > >statements mimmicks a merge, but each input data step may not be in sorted > >order and is not required to be in sorted order. > > > >*** This is a rather limited point of view. How would you perform the DATA > >step of the previous paragraph with a MERGE? If your answer is that you > >wouldn't, then that is a contradiction to the claim that the code mimics a > >MERGE. > > I would not, and my answer is that, in the example above, I would do this: > > /* example 1 */ > data all ; > set a b ; > run ; > > /*or this, example 2 */ > proc append base=all data=a ; > run ; > > proc append base=all data=b ; > run ; > > And that could be sped up even faster if I could skip the first PROC APPEND > since all it is doing is copying WORK.A to WORK.ALL (but the specs might > not allow it). > > And then I would say that Okay, you're right. In the example you chose, > the multiple SET statements do not mimmick a merge. However, in the > original exmaple given that started this thread, the attempt does mimmick a > merge. If you want to discuss it further, great--we can have another > example and more detail in the topic. > > > >*** The choice of your words suggests that there is something wrong with > >mimicking a MERGE. However, your "but" clause suggests that there are > times > >when mimicking a MERGE is most appropriate. What is being claimed here? > > Change the "but" to an "and" if you like. > > > >3) Combining several data sets into one data set with multiple SET > >statements mimmicks a merge, but each input data step may not have matching > >keys (even if it is in "sorted" order). > > > >*** The choice of your words suggests that there is something wrong with > >mimicking a MERGE. However, your "but" clause suggests that there are > times > >when mimicking a MERGE is most appropriate. What is being claimed here? > > Please see above. > > >4) Combining several data sets through one data step and out to multiple > >data sets runs the risk of multiplying the issues above. > > > >*** In view of my thoughts on 1)-3) I am confused about what is being > >multiplied. > > > What I have found to happen is that users who make errors in coding earlier > in the program can compound those errors later in the program, and these > errors in the final output data get multiplied as the program introduces > more data. The more times data is manipulated, the more chances there are > for errors. > > > > >5) From my experience, the intent that most users have in mind when using > >multiple SET statements in the same data step is better and more > >efficiently resolved using MERGE statements, PROC SQL. and/or other data > >manipulation tools. > > > >*** Please note this is a statement about your experience. Although I > >cannot question it, it indicates that you may have met rather limited > users. > > CLIENT: Paul, How do I print a SAS data set? > PAUL: PROC PRINT. > CLIENT: Thanks! > PAUL: That'll be $10,000 please. > > I've "MET" many powerful, wonderful, and highly intelligent SAS users. > I've even worked on projects where we used cutting edge SAS products, > including the first US site for Risk Dimensions (I was the first SAS > Quality Partner in North America with RD experience, and the second NA RD > license). Unfortunately most of my work is indeed very simple SAS code, > and I'm usually working with people who have an entire 3 days of SAS > experience. > > >To the extent that it is a claim about SAS, it appears to be a repetition > of > >2) or 3) now allowing mimics of a MERGE with SQL. > > Probably, now that I look at it. > > > >6) Multiple SET statements in one data step could lead to the overwriting > >of variables with the same name, rather than appending new records > >(or "creating" new records) as when several data sets are used in one SET > >statement. No warning will occur in the log if this happens. > > > >*** True. However, one assignment statement can overwrite another without > a > >warning in the log. Does this mean one should abandon assignment > >statements? I think a better point of view is that programs are dangerous > >when you don't know what they are doing. Consequently you should find out, > >rather than abandon what might be an important programming technique. > > Of course not, it just means that programmers should be aware of it. > > > > >7) If any of the SET statements are inside a condition, then the value of > >the last record read will be retained for the remaining records until the > >first time one of the input data sets encounters the end-of-data marker. > > > >*** Is this a claim. If so, then is it for or against? > > ???? > > > > >8) If one of the SET statements declares a data set with zero records, > >then the resulting data set output will provide the n-1 records from the > >iteration in which the "zero-record" data was called (it could be > >conditional). > > > >*** I don't understand what is being said. If it means that there is > >something wrong with conditional SET statements to empty data sets, then I > >think that wrong because I sometimes find such statements very useful in > >determining the logical PDV and the attributes of input variables. > > Cool Idea! Thanks! > > > > >9) The SET statement wasn't designed to occur more than once in a data > >step. Just because it CAN be done does not mean that it SHOULD be done. > > > >*** The first statement is a claim about history that I do not have access > >to, but it is contradictory to some of the SAS Institute published material > >and consequently requires some form evidence before one can accept it. > > Such as? I'd love to read it! (and I'm not doubting you) > > > > >*** I agree with the second statement, and suggest that the "it" can be > >replaced by anything that can have a CAN and SHOULD context, since the > >statement is really about the relationship between CAN and SHOULD. > However, > >the statement does not say anything about what SAS code restrictions one > >should follow, other than to possibly mean that not all valid SAS code > >should be written. > > > >10) Multiple SET statements in one data step are confusing, outside > >standards, and overly challenging to support in production code. > > > >*** There are three unsupported claims here. I find all of them suspect > and > >dependent on who is confused, who makes the standards, and who supports the > >production code. > > > >Of course, the aforementioned "IF _N_=1 THEN SET" routine is an exception > >that is well-documented and supported by SAS, and I would exclude it from > >these 10 points. > > > >And, I suppose, someone could come up with a practical use for these issues > >and call it a "feature" ... > > > >However, I recommend avoid it. > > > >*** Recommending avoidance of a class of SAS programs restricts what kinds > >of programs can be written and consequently the programming ability of > >anyone following that recomendation, hence I consider it very important to > >present evidence when making such a claim. I also see it as an important > >obligation to point when I disagree with such claims. > > > > The more I read through your note, the more it seemed to me that you felt I > was either making a personal jab at you or that you wanted to destroy > anything that I said, as though it were some kind of personal vendetta. I > didn't mean to start a fight, just to prevent beginners from running before > they could walk. > > I've found some neat ideas here, and I'd forgotten about the _IORC_ feature > with two SET statements. However, most of the remaing examples that I've > seen I cannot think of a practical application where I would use it, and I > eagerly await other such input. > > Cordially, > > Paul McDonald > SPIKEware, Inc. > ------------------------------ > Free SAS Tutorials and Newsletter > http://www.spikeware.com/