Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:09:39 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Mike Rhoads <RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS Schema generation

A couple of additional notes ...

With more recent versions of SAS, I suspect that you could easily get your table "shells" into your RDBMS, assuming you have table creation privileges and the appropriate SAS/ACCESS product, via the following:

options obs=0; libname sasdata ... ; libname mydbms ... ; proc copy in=sasdata out=mydbms; run;

Be a little careful -- I haven't tested this, since our neighborhood DBAs are careful NOT to grant me table creation privileges ;-)

Also, if you have SAS/ACCESS for Sybase or Oracle, they do provide direct support for the DBMS bulk loaders -- check the SAS documentation for details.

The fact that SAS really has only two data types (numeric and character) makes it difficult to optimize loading SAS data into an RDBMS, since there is no obvious way of knowing whether SAS numeric fields are best represented as integer (to say nothing of what size), floating point, or what. (Or, for that matter, whether CHAR fields are better stored as fixed or varying length.) You could, of course, do some programming to look at the characteristics of the data to generate the necessary information. Be particularly careful of date and datetime fields.

Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com

-----Original Message----- From: Sigurd Hermansen Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 12:56 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Schema generation

I've tried to capture SAS schema in an older version of Erwin, but without success. The CA rep tells me that the new and improved Erwin, Allfusion, will not reverse engineer a schema from a SAS library. A kludge method uses the SAS SQL Create table x like y statement to create shells for each SAS table in a library. One can then import the shells into a RDBMS that generates ER diagrams and embellish the data model with data integrity constraints. I have not tried importing SAS datasets with contraints already defined.

One you have a schema defined in a RDBMS, look for a bulk loader to populate the tables. The RDBMS provide bulk loader utilities for a reason. It usually take forever to insert rows into tables.

Sig

-----Original Message----- From: Krishna Kumar [mailto:kriskumar@MAILANDNEWS.COM] Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 11:26 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS Schema generation

Friends I have a very simple problem, due to the way RAD development was done at some point, some of the earlier developers have stopped maintaining the schema in documents or in other forms.

Could you suggest an easy way of pulling sas schema out , if its impossible how do i bulk export an entire sas library with tables to sybase or other rdbms.

many thanks Krishna