Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:12:38 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Burleson,Joseph A." <burleson@up.uchc.edu>
Subject:      Re: Importing Excel Worksheet into 11.0.1  (String type Variable
              Erro r Message)
Comments: To: "Moffitt, James" <James.Moffitt@westgroup.com>

What little I know says that your friend is correct. Dumb solution(!): Could you put one of the 11,000 cases that has NO blanks among the 29 columns in the first row?

By the way, note the SPSS option of using the first row as the column headers, hence the above refers to Row 2 in EXCEL (to become Row 1 in SPSS).

-Joe Burleson

-----Original Message----- From: Moffitt, James [mailto:James.Moffitt@westgroup.com] Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 5:49 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Importing Excel Worksheet into 11.0.1 (String type Variable Erro r Message)

I'm attempting to import an Excel Worksheet into SPSS 11.0.1 by way of the File/Open command. The worksheet consists of about 29 columns and 11,000 rows. The import function runs forever and the Output log keeps cranking out the following message:

Warning. Command name: GET DATA >(2111) Encountered a String type value in a column not of that type.Value will be mapped to the system missing value. >* (Row 9947, Column #27)

I don't see any strings in the column in question.

A colleague said that the first cell beneath the column label cannot be blank (many are in my data set) and that might have something to do with my problems.

Any suggestions?