Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:00:06 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV
Subject:      Re: Parent/Child relationships

What does "!" signify? Why does LLLLLLLL's line not have "-- " after "+"?

I'll ignore these issues for now.

A few ideas.

Use @"+-- " pointer control along with INFILE's COLUMN= option to position the pointer and detect indentation level. First generation (unindented) lines won't hit, but I think if MISSOVER is in effect pointer will end up at column 1, which is appropriate. Or will it end up at the high end? If so, comparison with a variable loaded by the LENGTH= option should permit detection.

Have a RETAINED variable to remember the previous line's indentation level and a RETAINED array to remember the current ancestry sequence at all times. When indentation drops back (as between HHHHHHHH and IIIIIIII), make appropriate "erasures" in the array.

That should deliver the information needed to identify the parent for each record as it is processed.