Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:58:05 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Shukla Kshirsagar <shuklak@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Proc cimport and sortinfo

Hello everybody,

I have created a sorted (ascii) transport data set on the mainframe, which I download to the PC.

proc sort data=sastemp.temp1 ascii; by id;run;

When the SAS data set is created on the PC, if I look at the properties, the 'sorted by' info is blank. If I use proc sort on this data set, SAS sorts it over again, but not really, since the data set was already sorted by ID. I had created a variable called counter=_n_, and the sorted dataset has the same order for counter as the unsorted data set.

On the mainframe side, my code looks like this:

proc cport data=sastemp.temp1 file=xout sortinfo=yes; run; The log gives Warning:The Sortinfo option is obsolete.

I am using SAS version 8.1 on the PC and 8.2 on mainframe. Given the size of our data, it would be optimal for us to sort on the mainframe and download to the PC.

Thanks for all your help, Shukla