Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:08:21 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>
Subject:      SQL For Smarties

Since we're talking about SQL again, I'd like to tell new listers about "Joe Celko's SQL for Smarties: Advanced SQL Programming ". It's essential reading for wannabe SQLheads. This is not a book for beginners, but it gives lots of interesting examples. For more information, see the review at Amazon.com; go to www.amazon.com and search for "sql for smarties".

The dialect of SQL used by SAS is not quite the same as that used by DB2, Oracle, or any other database, but most of the examples work, or can be modified to work.

I sure wish SAS would add the ability to say

select a, b, c from x where (a, b) in (select a, b from z);

-- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development METRICS Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA