Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:07:06 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Arthur J. Kendall" <Art@DrKendall.org>
Subject:      Re: Analyzing multiple response
Comments: To: "Heisler, Kurt W" <HeisleKW@CHKD.COM>

for the second question.

compute core = 0. if (math eq 1 and english eq 1 and science eq 1) core =1. value labels core 0 'no' 1 'yes'

Heisler, Kurt W wrote: > I have a multiple response question on a survey which asks, "Which subjects > have you taken? (check all that apply)" There are 6 possible answers: > > Math, English, Science, PE, Art, and None. > > In my SPSS file, I created a variable for each answer and coded each > accordingly: > > 1 = Selected > 77 = Not Applicable > 88 = Invalid > 99 = No Response > > Not Applicable (77) is an option because the question is part of a skip > pattern. If the respondent answered 'No' to a previous question, he should > skip the Subjects question. In these cases, each answer was given 77. > > 88 and 99 are assigned as missing values. Invalid means that it was not > clear if they selected that answer or not (e.g., poor erase mark, scribble). > No Response simply means they didn't select that answer. > > I created a multiple response set with the answers: > > MULT RESPONSE > GROUPS=$Suba_f 'Suba_f Subjects (multiple response set)' (aMath > bEnglish > cScience dPE eArt fNone (1)) > /FREQUENCIES=$Suba_f . > > Question 1: Should I create a 7th variable, something like "Skipped" (1 = > Yes, 0 - No), where 1 (yes) means the person did not select any of the > possible answers when in fact they should have selected at least one? (This > field would be left empty for the Not Applicable respondents, whose answers > would be coded as 77). > > Question 2: How can I create a variable called Core (0=no, 1=yes), where any > respondent who took Math, English, and Science is counted as 1 (yes) and all > others as 0 (no)? Syntax is preferred. > > Thank you! > > Kurt >