Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:55:00 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Asesoría Bioestadística
              <bioestadistica@eresmas.net>
Subject:      Re: Non SPSS Question (or yes?)

> Listers, > > Would anybody please help with how to calculate a coeffiecient of variation > (CV) for Body Mass Index (BMI) [weight/length](squared) by gestational age? > > apologies for this non SPSS question bu i figured there could be people > working on growth on this forum. > > Cathy

It is also an SPSS question. SPSS 11 can calculate coefficients of variation (it is a bit hidden, inside RATIO):

* Sample data *.

INPUT PROGRAM. - VECTOR x(2). - LOOP #I = 1 TO 50. - LOOP #J = 1 TO 2. - COMPUTE x(#J) = 100+NORMAL(15). - END LOOP. - END CASE. - END LOOP. - END FILE. END INPUT PROGRAM. execute. RANK VARIABLES = x1 /NTILES(4) INTO group /PRINT = NO.

* Compute CV with SPSS 11 *.

temporary. COMPUTE one = 1 . RATIO STATISTICS x2 WITH one BY group (ASCENDING) /PRINT = MNCOV .

This method can also be used to obtain 95%CI for medians:

temporary. COMPUTE one = 1 . RATIO STATISTICS x2 WITH one BY group (ASCENDING) /PRINT = CIN(95) MEDIAN .

HTH

Marta Garcia-Granero