Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:04:45 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         D McGooey <darlene_mcgooey@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      can I use the lag function to do this?

I was reading some recent posts about the lag function, and I am confused. This is, conceptually what I want to try to do:

I have three variables: a(i...n), b(i...n) and c(i...n). For record 1, a=b=c. For the remaning records: a[i]=a[i], b[i]=a[i]*b[i-1], c[i]=a[i-1]*b[i-1]*c[i]. The problem is how do I access one element past for calculating the value b[i] and c[i]. I think the lag function could work, but the sas code is not working with me. There is very little documentation that I can find to explain it. Is this even possible in sas (well of course it is, but is it possible for ME in sas)?

DM