Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:07:35 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mike Rhoads <RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: A recent msg re:  DBMS Copy
Comments: To: Jim Groeneveld <J.Groeneveld@ITGROUPS.COM>

Jim,

More information is available about the acquisition at http://www.dataflux.com/conceptual/.

Perhaps not surprisingly, DBMS/Analyst has been discontinued.

Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Groeneveld [mailto:J.Groeneveld@ITGROUPS.COM] Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 4:36 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: A recent msg re: DBMS Copy

Hi Phil,

Indeed, it is DataFlux, but John Gerstle wrote on 16 December 2002 that SAS had purchased DBMS/copy. Howard Schreier told us on 17 December that Analyst (a workalike for the SAS DATA step and a number of Base SAS procedures) was going to be pulled out. DataFlux website ( http://www.dataflux.com/about/about.asp <http://www.dataflux.com/about/about.asp> ) says: "On June 14, 2000 DataFlux was acquired by SAS Institute". This was not denied by Henry Feldman, the author of DBMS/copy. See the SAS-L discussion of 16+17+18 December 2002 with the subject "Stat/Transfer vs. DBMS Copy". And check out the web yourself. If you find anything new I would be happy to hear it. I hope they do not strip Analyst too much as it may be a good alternative for any basic statistical software program to legally use at home (if bought privately) for commercial work. This is the more valuable as SAS-LE (with its 1000 observations limit) (and if bought privately as well) may not legally be used for productive work, but only for learning and experimenting.

Kind regards - Jim. -- Y. (Jim) Groeneveld, MSc IMRO TRAMARKO tel. +31 412 407 070 senior statist./data man. P.O. Box 1 fax. +31 412 407 080 <mailto:J.Groeneveld@ITGroups.com> J.Groeneveld@ITGroups.com 5350 AA BERGHEM, NL www.imrotramarko.com

IF Annoying=T THEN Salutation=''; ELSE IF Sex='M' THEN Salutation='Hi'; ELSE IF Sex='F' THEN Salutation='Dear'; ELSE Salutation='Hallo';

Notice of confidentiality: this e-mail may contain confidential information intended for the addressed recipient only. If you have received this e-mail in error please delete this e-mail and please notify the sender so that proper delivery can be arranged.

-----Original Message----- From: PGall9898@aol.com [mailto:PGall9898@aol.com] Sent: 28 January 2003 20:12 To: J.Groeneveld@ITGROUPS.com Subject: A recent msg re: DBMS Copy

Dear Jim,

Maybe you had the following msg in mind, maybe you didn't. Just in case you didn't see it, I append it below. As I understand it, it is DataFlux that is marketing DBMS Copy now. I hope I'm not wrong aboutthat, too.

(I need to check Data Flux out, for I bought DBMS Copy a few years ago, and so far have neglected to get updates. Have I forfeited something special? I hope not.)

Phil Gallagher Nantucket

Subj: DBMS/Copy info, re Analyst Date: 1/6/2003 10:08:03 AM Eastern Standard Time From: PGall9898 <mailto:PGall9898> To: PGall9898 <mailto:PGall9898>

Subj: SAS-L Digest - 6 Jan 2003 - Special issue (#2003-18) Date: 1/6/2003 9:45:49 AM Eastern Standard Time From: LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <mailto:LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 06:22:33 -0800 From: Michael McQuaid <michael.mcquaid@DATAFLUX.COM> Subject: Re: no more DBMS/Analyst... alternatives?

My mistake - sorry!

The DMBS/Copy expert here at DataFlux says that almost all of the DBMS/Analyst features are available in Copy. Not exactly sure what you would like to accomplish with Analyst, but Copy may support your requirements. You can find contact information on the DataFlux web site - our DBMS/Copy expert may be able to help out!

Best Regards, Mike