Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:32:22 -0500
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jim and Melissa Pappas <pappasj@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      In Buckhead?

Interesting bird on a "pond" (water feature in front of Monarch Towers - Lenox Road & Phipps Drive), yesterday.

As I was leaving my office in Alliance Center (across from Monarch Towers), I heard the unmistakable rattle of a Belted Kingfisher. Sure enough, in one of the trees around this fountain sat a male Belted Kingfisher. He was intently watching the water and dove on something. I guess they must've stocked the pond with goldfish, because that bird wasn't passing through. Earlier in the year, there were a couple of mallards on the pond, so it shows that birds will find the water. I'm starting to take my lunch over to see what other birds show up. There are islands of shrubs and grasses in the pond which also have lights which are trained on features of the building at night and a large grassy knoll. It might be a very good place to find some interesting birds in the middle of Buckhead.

I've become the resident "bird person" in our office. We inhabit three floors of the office tower, and I've been called from all three floors on all sides to come explain what kind of "bird," "eagle," "hawk" people are seeing. It does my heart good that people are actually beginning to care about what they're seeing. Before anyone gets excited, I've never seen any kind of eagle in the area. Most of the time the mystery turns out to be Red-tailed Hawks that are resident in the area. This is mating season and they sure have been showing off in front of the windows. They seem to take great delight in the updrafts close to the building. I often wonder if they know they're being watched and give a little extra exuberance to their soaring flights.

I've had to promise to leave one of my bird books when I head for Michigan. I'm scouting out a new "bird person" for that part of my job.

Melissa -- Jim & Melissa Pappas Marietta, GA