Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
-- RJF2
Date:   Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:21:28 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV
Subject:   Re: SAS Updating Part of Existing Word Document Using ODS: How to do This?
Comments:   To: Jon Seltzer <jon.d.seltzer@MEDTRONIC.COM>

DDE can be tricky, but I suspect it is the best tool for tackling this task head on.

I'm sure ODS can generate the needed tables, but I think swapping them into existing Word documents without disturbing other, static content is a different story.

Are you in a position to re-engineer the Word documents in order to simplify the task? Example: add section boundaries.

Other approaches come to mind.

Word does not require that documents be saved in the proprietary .doc structure. One alternative is rich text (RTF). I believe recent versions also provide "round trip" HTML. RTF and HTML are both stored as text streams. So in theory, one could get at the Word content using SAS and post- process it to introduce updates. I personally would not attempt this.

Can the static portions of the report be maintained outside of word, in relatively simple files or databases which are readable by SAS? Perhaps then you could use SAS to generate your new content, combine it with the static content, and pour the composite into empty Word templates.

Another possibility: make the parts of the Word documents which are subject to change OLE links rather than storing the information instream. For tabular data, the obvious application to supply the linked objects is Excel. That might be done with DDE, or ODS, or a combination of the two. I think the DDE would be more straightforward than it is with Word, and there is certainly a lot more relevant material in the SAS-L archives.