Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:49:42 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Deborah Wentworth <Deborah.Wentworth@ACORNCV.COM>
Subject:      Re: kappa statistics
Comments: To: "Dennis G. Fisher" <dfisher@csulb.edu>

Hi Dennis -

I haven't heard of the Adjusted Rand Statistic, and a quick look through both the system help and the SAS manuals didn't net me anything. Where do I find this creature?

Thanks, Deb

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis G. Fisher [mailto:dfisher@csulb.edu] Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 5:46 PM To: Deborah Wentworth Cc: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: kappa statistics

In this case you should not be using kappa, you should be using the Adjusted Rand Statistic that is designed for this exact situation. Dennis Fisher

Deborah Wentworth wrote:

> Greetings - > > I have a question I'm hoping that this esteemed group can help me with. > > I am using PROC FREQ with the AGREE option to get a weighted kappa for an ordinal measure that can range from 1 to 4. This measure is assessed by two people, and I'm comparing their results and quantifying the agreement between the two. > > For one of my subgroups, one person had results ranging from 1 through 4 while the other person did not assign any 1s. When I ran this, SAS didn't produce the kappa statistic because my table was not square (# columns did not = # rows). > > Is there a way that I can force SAS to produce a square table even though the column count will be zero for one of the columns? I hope this question makes sense.... > > Thanks in advance - Deb

-- Dennis G. Fisher, Ph.D. Director Center for Behavioral Research and Services 1090 Atlantic Avenue Long Beach, CA 90813 562-495-2330 562-983-1421 fax

To him who devotes his life to science, nothing can give more happiness than increasing the number of discoveries. But his cup of joy is full when the results of his studies immediately find practical application. There are not two sciences. There is only one science and the application of science, and these two activities are linked as the fruit is to the tree. --Louis Pasteur