Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:38:04 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Curt Seeliger <seeliger.curt@EPA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: FW: Outputting ONLY significant results

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 02:14 pm, David L. Cassell wrote:

> "Cacialli, Doug" replied: > > Thank you for your concern. I recognize the dangers in reporting > > solely significant results as well as any of us, and I have voiced > > them to the powers-that-be. The powers-that-be are seemingly > > unconcerned. > > ... > > Perhaps it's time to take a lesson from Dogbert. Tell the > Powers-that-be that you talked with some statisticians, who said > ... computing the real experiment-wise error ... Bonferroni ... > EERC ... EERP ... CUT!

Significance is an issue for statisticians, not decision making PHB/PTB. Doug, being the shrewd dude, will simply ask them what they want to do, make it happen, and collect a fat bonus for being a team player. Back in his office, wearing his Nostradogbert outfit, he'll utter the magic phrase BONFERRONI BALONGA BLAMMO, obviating the need for the serious thought so many of you suggest, leaving ample time to contemplate the red Ferrari he'll now be able to afford.

If the computer said it, I believe it, and that settles it.

cur -- Curt Seeliger, Data Wagger CSC, EPA/WED contractor 541/754-4638 billg@microsoft.com