Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:20:02 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Roger Lustig <trovato@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: A SAS Beginner - Best Books?

Geoffrey: If you know SQL, you can manipulate SAS datasets with PROC SQL. Of course, if you haven't worked with step-by-step languages (i.e., where you specify the order in which things are executed, something you only do in a very limited way in SQL, where a query is more of an all-at-once overview of what you want), then you'll want to explore the DATA step in detail.

If you can find them, the old _SAS Language and Procedures: Usage_ and _Usage II_ manuals are actually very good. They're also well-organized, so you can skip to the parts you really want with little trouble. They were written for Version 6, but that merely means they're missing some advanced features. But you'll get a good look at the various ways of combining data sets, reading in external data, and using the utility procs (such as SUMMARY/MEANS, SORT, etc.

Best,

Roger Lustig

Geoffrey Barnes wrote: > I don't want to hijack JC's thread, but I do have the same question. For > what it's worth, I have been an SPSS user for many years, but got tired of > all the bugs and bizzare restrictions it puts on its users. Due primarily > to the limitations of SPSS, I became a fairly skilled database programmer in > other products, especially SQL Server. I learned from painful experience > that it was much easier to do the data manipulation in something like SQL > Server, construct the dataset that I needed, and then hand it over to SPSS > for analysis. > > So I do some basic statistical analysis and a whole heap of database > manipulation for a living. What's the best book for that kind of thing? > > > "Roger Lustig" <trovato@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message > news:3E7BE554.8080606@bellatlantic.net... > >>Dear JR: >> >>Depends. What do you want to do? SAS is large. Tell us a little about >>your data, your programming tasks, etc. >> >>Best, >> >>Roger >> >>JAC wrote: >> >>>What's the best book to get for someone just beginning with SAS >> > programming? > >>>thanks >>> >>>jc >>> >>> >> > >