Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:25:23 +0100
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jeremy Miles <jnvm1@york.ac.uk>
Subject:      Re: Negative Coeeficient Alphas
Comments: To: Spencer Baker <srbaker54@cox.net>

Negative alphas are theoretically impossible, as alpha is a proportion of variance. This most commonly occurs when you have failed to reverse some items that should have been reversed.

JM

At 14:20 01/04/2003 -0500, Spencer Baker wrote: >I am using an instrument that has lower level scales and an overall scale. >It was originally created for adults and I am using it with a much younger >population to compare. I am receiving some low and negative coefficient >alphas at the lower level scales but the overall scales are in the .70s. > >Is there an article that discusses this phenomenon? It is a small sample >(N=151) so far. > >TIA > >Spencer