Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:10:51 -0400
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Chris Fisher <cfisher@jjay.cuny.edu>
Subject:   fill variables

I'm trying this one again....

one row/case for a client looks like this

ID SiteID Tracking1 Tracking2 Tracking3.....Tracking44..........housing1 housing 2 housing 3.........housing44 234 23 11/03/03 11/23/03 12/05/03 4/06/04 rent rent missing missing 347 14 2/15/02 3/3/02 3/24/02 6/15/02 own missing rent missing

What I would like to do is fill in the "missing" fields with the last entered value. So in ID 234, the missings would become rent in "housing 3," and in ID 347 the missing would become own for "housing 2" and then rent for "housing 44". I get close but I can only seem to make a new variable.

I am doing this because when I tried this syntax to count the number of times housing status changed across a row:

SORT CASES BY clientid siteid tracking . EXECUTE . * calculate if there are any changes in housing DO IF $CASENUM>1 AND clientid=LAG (clientid) . COMPUTE statchng=LAG (housing) <> housing . END IF . EXECUTE .

It does not correctly count the number of changes since even when a client has this:

rent rent missing rent own rent doubleup transitional rent - where there should be 8 changes (from rent to own, own back to rent, rent to doubleup, doubleup to transitional, and transitional to rent) (these are all coded values) it only counts 4 (perhaps it's only counting the number of different entries???? also, it shouldn't count missing as a change but if the missings can be filled that won't be a problem.