Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Apr 2003 07:39:51 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Arthur J. Kendall" <Art@DrKendall.org>
Subject:      Re: Blank String Field and Wonky Autorecodes
Comments: To: Stepushyn Megan <megan.stepushyn@umit.at>

blank is the lowest ascii code.

If country eq ' ' country = 'zz blank'. autorecode . . .

Hope this helps.

Art Art@DrKendall.org Social Research Consultants University Park, MD USA (301) 864-5570

Stepushyn Megan wrote: > Hello SPSS Listservers! > > I have a question regarding string variables and autorecode. > > I am importing a large amount of data from Microsoft ACCESS and am > doing some coding to format the data. One of the columns that I > import from ACCESS is 'country'. It just so happens that one of the > rows in this huge amount of data is being imported without a value. > So, all rows have a country except this one row. I am doing an > automatic recode of the column to change the column from a STRING to > a NUMERIC column with value labels. When I do this, the values for > this row is '1' and the rest of the countries follow: 2=australia, > 3=belgium, 4=canada etc. When I did this analysis on a different set > of data this never happened it was always: 1=australia, 2=belgium, > 3=canada etc. This has never happened before even though I have had > blanks in this column before in previous analysis. Can anyone tell > me why SPSS is interpreting this blank cell as the first value? > And can anyone suggest how I can make this stop? > > AUTORECODE > > VARIABLES=country /INTO Tcountry > > /PRINT. > > > > MATCH FILES FILE = * /DROP country > > > > rename variables (Tcountry=country). > > > > This is my code. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! > > > > Megan >