Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:57:41 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Randy Herbison <RandyHerbison@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      Re: THANKS: Seek editor to add blank lines
Comments: To: Tom Frenkel <taf2@NYU.EDU>

Tom,

Actually, the SAS Enhanced Editor does allow you to create keyboard macros by recording keystrokes.

Start recording either by pressing Alt + Shift + R or by selecting Tools -> Keyboard Macros -> Record New Macro.

Execute the sequence of actions to accomplish the task.

Stop recording either by pressing Alt + Shift + R or by selecting Tools -> Keyboard Macros -> Stop Recording.

RandyHerbison@westat.com

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Frenkel [mailto:taf2@NYU.EDU] Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 2:29 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: THANKS: Seek editor to add blank lines

To SAS-L:

I want to thank the four people who responded to my request about how to add regularly spaced blank lines to SAS code. Their responses were all to SAS-L, so you could look at the archives if you want more detail. But here is a summary:

Venky Chakravarthy pointed me to a possibly applicable paper by SI's Paul Grant, "Creating Code Templates in the SAS Enhanced Editor", available at:

http://support.sas.com/sassamples/papers/0303_saseditor.pdf

Charles Patridge thought I could write a KEDIT macro, or use Ultraedit. Alternatively, he suggested writing a simple SAS program. This last idea would, to me, seem worthwhile if there were thousands of lines involved, but like the code-template suggestion above, might perhaps be "overkill" for my case of a couple hundred lines.

Jim Groeneveld suggested using the macro capability of the DOS (!) editor PC-Write. He also mentioned the SAS-program idea.

And finally, Randy Herbison explained how to create a keyboard macro within the SAS Enhanced Editor. Like the macro potential of KEDIT and Ultraedit mentioned above, this seems useful ... except ideally I would like an editor that could *record* the macro just from keystrokes, without haveing to select commands from a command list!

I haven't yet have had time to follow up on the above ideas, but will do so in near future ... and will let y'all know when/if I find a spiffy solution! Thanks again and best,

--Tom --------------------------------------------------- Tom Frenkel email: taf2@nyu.edu Center for Health & Public Service Research New York University http://www.nyu.edu/wagner/chpsr/ ---------------------------------------------------