Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:43:24 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Stephanie Roll <zteph@GMX.NET>
Subject:      error in SF-36-analysis program???

Hi, I want to analyze SF-36 data (a 'quality of life'-questionnaire) with the SAS program that comes with the manual (German version). Now I find 4 lines of this program to be doubtful. In these lines values should be set to missing if they are outside the range of valid values. They are at the beginning of the parts that calculate the raw-subscales of - role-physical index, - role-emotional index, - mental health index and - vitality index. (computation of the other 4 subscales (physical functioning, social functioning, general health perception, and pain) seems correct). The set-to-missing is done in an array. For example (role-physical index):

ARRAY RP(4) ROLPH1-ROLPH4; DO I = 1 TO 4; IF RP(I) < 1 OR RP(I) > 2 THEN RP(I) = .; END;

In the questionnaire the 4 items (rolph1-rolph4) of the role-physical index can take values between 1 and 5. In the above array however any value greater than 2 will be set to zero. This is wrong, I think....

Has anyone used this program to evaluate the SF-36 and had the same problem? Does anyone know something about where to get "official" evaluation programmes for SF-36? (The above might be a German problem. I don't know any US-programmes.)

Thanks, Stephanie Roll