Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:49:40 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Dale McLerran <stringplayer_2@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Statisticians (was S.O.S. (Save Our SAS))

--- Peter Flom <flom@NDRI.ORG> wrote: > >>> "David L. Cassell" <cassell.david@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV> 04/08/03 > 01:31PM > >>> wrote > <<< > As a statistician, it is part of my job description > to cause as much trouble as possible. :-) > >>> > > LOL > > When I was getting my PhD in psychometrics, professors from clinical > or > developmental psych would complain about how unreasonable we stats > types > were. Samples were too small. We wanted to see power analyses. We > kept > talking about assumptions being violated......And we did things like > point out that ANOVA and OLS regression are the same model. >

Let's back up a bit further. What is the population for which you wish to make inference? What is your sampling frame? Does your sampling frame represent the population on which you wish to make inference? How were samples drawn? Oh, you used convenience sampling? Sorry, that does not represent any specifiable population. Come back with an experiment which employs proper sampling methods!

Oh, so your sampling frame does represent the population of interest and you have used some acceptable method of drawing observations from the sampling frame. You do have correlated errors induced by your sampling. Thus, you cannot use any of the statistical techniques which you learned in Statistics 101. Here, let me try to explain. (Eyes glaze over - didn't even understand Stat 101 all that well. Just don't tell me any more, please!)

We are a troublesome lot, for sure!

Dale

===== --------------------------------------- Dale McLerran Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center mailto: dmclerra@fhcrc.org Ph: (206) 667-2926 Fax: (206) 667-5977 ---------------------------------------