Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 May 2003 16:56:15 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: Dynamic Variable Creation
Comments: To: "Richard J. Reeves" <rr223@cornell.edu>

At 12:30 PM 5/1/2003 -0400, Richard J. Reeves wrote:

>I have a dataset from a server that has visiting history. I am trying >to create counter variables to track how many times a given user >visits a given page. Currently the data is in this format: > >id page >-- ---- >j2 home.htm >jj2 index.htm >jj2 home.htm >r2 home.htm >t4 jkl.htm >t4 report.asp >t4 test.asp > >There are over 1000 pages and over 1000 user ides and both change >regularly so I would like a way to dynamically code the variable names >(or labels) so that I know how many times a person visited a given >page. I tried using some vectors with a double loop but could not >quite get there. I am wonder if there is a script solution or of this >simply can't be done.

To start with, the natural solutions do not create multitudes of variables. If you want one CASE to count the number of times a given user visits a page, it's very quick:

AGGREGATE /OUTFILE=*/BREAK=ID PAGE/N_VISITS = N.

You can write a separate file instead of using "OUTFILE=*", of course.

If you really want a bunch of variables, look at CASESTOVARS, which will create variables dynamically from the data. Here's a response to a similar query, posted by Karel Asselberghs <asselberghs@XS4ALL.NL> Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:25:15 +0100 ("Re: Aggregate functions") -- I've changed variable names for your case:

>split file by ID. >casestovars. >split file off.

That should (I'm a couple of releases back, and don't have CASESTOVARS) give you one case per ID, and one variable per page visited.