Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 May 2003 12:51:47 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Yampolskaya, Svetlana" <yampol@fmhi.usf.edu>
Subject:      Re: problems with survival analysis

Dear List,

I have some problems with survival analysis, specifically, life tables, that I cannot solve.

Here are the variables I have:

Subject id (SUBJID), the date when a subject entered services (RECDATE), the last date of tracking subjects (LDATE), and 5 districts (DISTR).

Some of these subjects entered the services for the second time. Therefore, I have cases with the same subjects' id but different time of entry.

Using life tables I am trying to calculate the percentage of subjects who have the second episode of services by the end of 12th month.

Here is my syntax:

SORT CASES BY SUBJID RECDATE.

STRING L_SUBJID (A11). COMPUTE L_SUBJID = LAG(SUBJID).

DO IF (L_SUBJID EQ SUBJID). COMPUTE INTRTIME = CTIME.DAYS((RECDATE - LRECDATE)/30.44). COMPUTE CENSOR = 1. END IF.

RECODE INTRTIME (0,SYSMIS=-999). DO IF (INTRTIME EQ -999). COMPUTE INTRTIME = CTIME.DAYS((LDATE - RECDATE) / 30.44). COMPUTE CENSOR = 0. END IF.

VAL LAB CENSOR 0 'CENSORED' 1 'NOT' .

SURVIVAL TABLE = INTRTIME BY DISTR(1,5) /INTERVAL=THRU 12 BY 1 /STATUS=CENSOR(1) /PRINT=TABLE .

The problem is that the percentages I get are at least twice as higher as they should be (compared to % of uncensored cases obtained from the crosstabs).

I do know that percentages obtained from survival tables should a little bit higher but I don't think what I get is right.

Please help,

Lana