Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2003 13:07:44 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      List business: "rejected postings" (was,
              re: Kaplan-Meyer and TREND)

At 10:44 AM 5/12/2003 +0200, Frederic Villamayor wrote:

>Be sure this happened me before! It's the third time I try to senrd >this message to the list, and the server, after initially accepting >it, refuses to distribute it asking me resend it after addig some >comments at the beginning of the message body and changing the >subject. So there it goes.

Actually, I received copies of all three postings you speak of.

I've had the same problem with my postings: I'll get an acknowledgement that the posting was distributed, and I'll get a copy, and then I'll get an announcement that the posting was rejected. It happened with both the posts I sent last night.

It appears that one subscriber's account is rejecting postings and bouncing them back to the LIST, not the senders; and there, they are taken as new postings. It's good that the LISTSERV software rejects them, so we don't get postings piling up from successive bounces; but it sends the reject message to the original posters. Here are the key lines:

>Your message is being returned to you unprocessed because >it appears to have >already been distributed to the SPSSX-L list. That is, a message with >identical >text (but possibly with different mail headers) has been posted >to the list >recently,

The subscriber in question may be given by this header:

By the way, a posting containing HTML can be rejected by one of the list redistribution points; you'll get a message, and some but not all subscribers will see the posting.