Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 May 2003 09:01:52 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Kruger <m_kruger@WAYNE.EDU>
Subject:      Help with selecting controls for cases
Comments: To: SPSS <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>

I am trying to select 2 controls for each case in a dataset of about 16,000 subjects. The data is structured as follows:

ID BIRTHYR CASE SURVIVAL 1 1915 1 87 2 1915 0 80 3 1915 0 63 4 1915 0 87 6 1915 0 71 7 1925 1 77 8 1925 0 87 9 1925 0 67 10 1925 0 52

I need to pick 2 'controls' (case=0) matched on birhtyr for each of my cases. But for each case there may be over 100 controls in the file, while for some cases (years) there may be only 3 or 4 controls in the file. Many of the cases have the same birth year, but I don't think that should affect the matching process. I want to randomly select 2 controls for each case mathced by 'birhtyr' There are 147 cases in the file and approximately 5400 controls that match the birth years of the cases. I wnat to end up with a sekected data set if 146 cases abd 292 randomly selected but birthyear matched controls.

Any help in writing syntax for this would be appreciated. Thanks. .

-- Michael Kruger Statistical Analyst C.S. Mott Center for Human Growth & Development Dept. of OB/GYN Wayne State Univ. School of Medicine (313)-577-1794 m_kruger@wayne.edu