Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 May 2003 11:03:50 +1000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Paul Dickson <paulandpen@optusnet.com.au>
Subject:      combining do if and end if

Hi list-servers, > > The following is a question I would like some help with. I have got > this far because I am new to syntax and I am happy that at least the syntax framework is running without a billion error messages appearing. > > My goal is to examine repeated measures (longitudinal data) and I > have 4 > variables that are recorded 4 times. The first set of 4 variables is > the baseline and the remaining 3*4 sets of variables are scores that are to be > compared against this baseline. I want to test whether a person improved or > declined (by definition no improvement is that their scores are within a 95% confidence interval of the baseline mean over each stage of the trial) while below this value represents decline and above this value represents improvement.

> The variables are to be coded 1 (improvement) -1 (decline) and 0 as (no change) >The outcome is that there will be twelve new variables created and these variables will reflect this computation in terms of 1, -1, 0.

So far this is how the syntax looks with written text where I can't construct the write decision term

do repeat a = domain1b to domain4d. > compute goodtim1 = (domain1b). > compute goodtim2 = (domain2b). > compute goodtim3 = (domain3b). compute goodtim4 = (domain4b). > do if (a falls between CINTERVAL 95) -the first problem is how to write this!!! > compute a = 0. > else if (a falls below the CI) this is the second problem. > compute paul = -1. > else if (a falls above the confidence interval). > compute paul = 1. > else if (sysmiss(a) or a = 9). > compute paul = 9. > end if. > end repeat. > execute.

As you can probably appreciate by looking at the syntax I am getting only one variable called Paul and I want to get twelve variables for Paul1 to Paul12.

Thanks in advance

Regards Paul