Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 28 May 2003 16:51:34 -0400
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Heisler, Kurt W" <HeisleKW@CHKD.COM>
Subject:   Merging files problem - Error # 5213

I am using syntax to merge 3 files, but the merge isn't working. Instead of sorting and saving the three files to the C drive, and then merging them into a 4th file, four files are created in the C drive, all identical expect for the file name. The files are not merged. Each file created is simply a sorted copy of the first .sav file listed in the syntax. Also, I get several errors (all "Error # 5213: ... Text: ...") in the output. The problem may simply be some misplaced punctuation but I'm not sure.

Below is the syntax followed by the errors I'm getting. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kurt

*Select the 3 files to merge, sort them by stuid, rename them, and save them to C drive

GET FILE='K:\TEAM\Data\Data - CDC\SHS (TELEform).sav'. SORT CASES BY stuid. SAVE OUTFILE='C:\SHS.sav' /COMPRESSED

GET FILE='K:\TEAM\Data\Data - CDC\Adhdrs.sav' SORT CASES BY stuid. SAVE OUTFILE='C:\Adhdrs.sav' /COMPRESSED

GET FILE='K:\TEAM\Data\Data - CDC\Vadhdrs.sav' SORT CASES BY stuid. SAVE OUTFILE='C:\Vadhdrs.sav' /COMPRESSED

*Merge the 3 files

GET FILE='C:\SHS.sav'. MATCH FILES /FILE=* /FILE='C:\Adhdrs.sav' /BY stuid. EXECUTE. MATCH FILES /FILE=* /FILE='C:\Vadhdrs.sav' /BY stuid. EXECUTE. SAVE OUTFILE='C:\Merged.sav' /COMPRESSED.