Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 29 May 2003 16:52:05 -0700
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Ed Sloat <ESloat@peoriaud.k12.az.us>
Subject:   Syntax: Saving groups of cases to separate files?

Does anyone know of a way through syntax to initially open (a large) file, use Split File to select groups of cases and then save each of the groups identified through "Split File" to a unique file? I have a data file with 24,000 cases (student records) representing 28 different elementary schools. I want to create 28 different files (one for each school containing the cases for that school) in an Excel-export format. Conceptually, it would be like running a Frequencies routine using "Split File - Organize Output by Groups", but in this case I want to automate the "Save As" command without having to manually insert a new name each time. The routine would have to automatically enter a unique file name. While my need is unique, the basic activity seems to be something others would have needed to do: Parse a large file into separate files using batch mode from syntax. It's the "Save As" part which requires me to insert a file name each time that I don't know how to perform. Any help is appreciated. Thanks all. Ed Sloat Director, Research and Assessment Peoria Unified School District Glendale Arizona