Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 May 2003 09:33:53 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Farrer, Andrew C" <Andrew.Farrer@CIBC.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS V 8.2, 64 bit vs. 32 bit
Comments: To: rpresley <rpresley@GMCF.ORG>

I installed V8.2 64bit under Solaris alongside V8.2 32bit in order to overcome a 3Gb memory limit for proc mddb. The elapsed time was reduced considerably but memory utilisation shot up to the point where we ran out of swap space on one occasion. The problem appeared to be that memory utilisation was increased across the board compared with V8.2 32bit with no significant savings in CPU. We have 6x750MHz with 12 Gb RAM and SI recommended increasing to 16 Gb. Unfortunately we could not reach concensus between my clients, SAS, Sun and my Sys Admins so we put everything on hold.

My concern is that Rel 9 is based on the same 64bit structure. Once we get a delivery date for Rel 9 here in Canada, I will revisit the processes and make another assessment.

-----Original Message----- From: rpresley [mailto:rpresley@GMCF.ORG] Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 3:50 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS V 8.2, 64 bit vs. 32 bit

Hello big file crunchers,

We currently run SAS 8.2, 32 bit on our AIX box. We are thinking about switching to 64 bit with hopes of increasing performance. Does anyone have experience with making this switch? What have you noticed as advantages and problems?

As always thanks to the real experts.

Rodney

Rodney J. Presley, PhD Director of Data Analysis Georgia Medical Care Foundation 1455 Lincoln Parkway suite 800 Atlanta, GA 30346

678-527-3474 404-982-7591 fax

rpresley@gmcf.org