Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 May 2003 12:52:09 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Merging a large and small dataset
Comments: To: eschpope99@NETSCAPE.NET

The easiest way would be create formats for the two 5,000 record files, and apply the formats to the appropriate fields in the big file (you might want to create new fields whose only purpose is to be formatted, so you can easily see both the original value and the formatted value).

Another option would be to index the two smaller files; you could then use the SET smalldataset KEY=recordkey statement to look up the values on the fly in a data step.

-- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA

>>> "Robert Pope" <eschpope99@NETSCAPE.NET> 05/14/2003 11:36 AM >>> I have a 4,000,000+ record file with policyholder information. Then I have two 5,000 record files: one associates plancodes with the reporting product line, the other associates treaty codes with reinsurance companies.

I want to add the appropriate reporting product line and reinsurance company name to each record in my policyholder file, while maintaining the existing sort (non-)order.

The obvious solution is to add an _N_ variable, followed by a SORT/MERGE for product followed by a second SORT/MERGE for reinsurer, followed by a SORT by _N_. But those 3 sorts add an excessive amount of run time to the program (IIRC 1 hour per sort). Is there a way to avoid having to SORT the main dataset, perhaps with something like Excel's VLookup function?

I would almost be tempted to hard-code the two small files into the main data step, except they are continually updated.

Thanks, Rob Pope