Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 May 2003 21:05:59 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Don Henderson <donaldjhenderson@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [SAS 8.2,W2000] AppDev Studio

Pawel,

The following might be a bit dated, but I think it is still correct/current.

AppDev Studio (ADS for short) is a client side development environment that allows you to build java applet and jsp based applications that can query a SAS server. You will still need to license the server tools on a server. The PC that you have licensed ADS on should include the appropriate software and licenses you need to develop/test your application using that PC as your SAS server. As of a couple years ago, the SAS license did not allow you to use that server for production purposes. Not sure about the status of those issues now.

The bottom line is that you will still need to license SAS/IntrNet (or SAS/Integration Technologies) on a server, along with any other products that will be needed for your application (e.g., Graph if you are doing graphics, STAT for statistical procs, etc.).

And one last comment regarding your reference to CGI being slow. Are you stating that based on your experience with the SAS/IntrNet Application Dispatcher, or just based on the general perception that CGI is slow? If the latter, permit me to point out that the architecture of the SAS/IntrNet Application Dispatcher is not a typcial CGI implementation - it was specifically architected to deal with those issues. Most CGI applications appear slow because they launch their compute process on the web server (e.g. a SAS server). That means that a single box has to support the web server functions, as well as the application functions. That is what makes most CGI applications slow. While you can deploy a SAS/IntrNet Application Dispatcher that way, the architecture of the Application Dispatcher allows you to:

- only run a very lightweight process (i.e., the broker) on your web server. That process is simply a traffic cop that routes requests to a designation server running SAS. - use an already up and running SAS Server (which avoids start up time and overhead) - or launch a new SAS server (if needed)

So if you have not tried the CGI-based Application Dispatcher I would encourage you to not dismiss it merely because most folks think that any CGI app is slow and unwieldy.

I would also encourage you to check out:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/web/intrnet/papers/intrnet_roadmap.pdf

which gives a good overview of the various components.

HTH, -Don Henderson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paweł Piaskowy" <sandworm@BOX43.GNET.PL> Newsgroups: bit.listserv.sas-l To: <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 6:49 PM Subject: [SAS 8.2,W2000] AppDev Studio