Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 May 2003 13:53:01 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Chakravarthy, Venky" <Venky.Chakravarthy@PFIZER.COM>
Subject:      Re: _N_ in PROC SQL
Comments: To: Jeff Morison <jmt_mtf@YAHOO.COM>

You can use the undocumented monotonic() function to simulate _n_. Sample usage:

proc sql ; select monotonic() as rownum, * from <your data> ; quit ;

If you are doing any GROUP BY processing in your SQL this may not work.

A better alternative is to use a datastep view.

data yourview / view = yourview ; set yourdata ; rownum = _n_ ; run ; __________________________ Venky Chakravarthy E-mail: swovcc@hotmail.com

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff Morison [mailto:jmt_mtf@YAHOO.COM] Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 1:29 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: _N_ in PROC SQL

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier qn.

Here is another one.

I need to create a variable with the value of _N_ in PROC SQL?, is there a way to do this?.

It gives me this ERROR message

ERROR: The following columns were not found in the contributing tables: _N_. 1023 QUIT;

TIA, Jeff