Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:37:42 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Carol Lambert or Jeff Sewell <lambertsewell@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Suwanee Creek/George Pierce Park, Gwinnett Co. 6/28/03

Jeff Sewell, Sterling Blanchard and I had a good walk through the Suwanee Creek Greenway & George Pierce Park property in Gwinnett Co. this morning. The Smith family from north Cobb Co. went part of the way on what was an Atlanta Audubon sponsored walk. The rain actually stopped soon after we started out and the birds started singing. We ended up with 50 species and a couple of nice surprises. A BROAD-WINGED HAWK perched and whistling near the Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd. underpass/overpass(?) was unexpected and remained in the area. Two male SCARLET TANAGERS near the marsh & soccer fields were good (one starting to molt). We had KENTUCKY and HOODED WARBLER along the Greenway stretch. After lunch Jeff and I returned to the part of the trail nearest the soccer fields and found a PROTHONOTARY WARBLER.

Along with the more common resident species, we had GREEN HERON, RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE, GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHER, ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, WHITE-EYED VIREO, RED-EYED VIREO, TREE SWALLOW, N. ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW, BARN SWALLOW, BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, SUMMER TANAGER, INDIGO BUNTING. A species that we missed was Yellow-billed Cuckoo, which must be there but not calling.

The best parts of this site are the small marsh at the Greenway start near the parking lot on Martin Farm Rd. (off Satellite Blvd.) and the nature trail & marsh of the Park, which can best be accessed through the soccer complex (off Buford Hwy. just past Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd.). There's a soccer parking lot on the left shortly before you reach the nature trail entrance, but no parking on the street. I would suggest walking in from this point as far as the powerline (Olive-sided Flycatcher site 2 years ago); then maybe driving around to Satellite Blvd. and checking the smaller marsh. Most of the Greenway walk that connects these two areas has dense privet on both sides, cyclists, walkers, dogs, etc. and was not very productive, although we would've missed the Broad-winged Hawk if we hadn't walked through that area today.

Carol Lambert DeKalb Co., GA lambertsewell@mindspring.com