Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:38:15 -0500
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jim Ozier <Jim_Ozier@DNR.STATE.GA.US>
Subject:      More peregrine falcons in Atlanta

Yesterday a call came into our office that a fledgling peregrine had been found on a downtown parking deck. Knowing that the young from the known nest are not ready to leave the nest, I at first figured the bird was a kestrel. Several such reports have turned out to be kestrels or other hawks. After talking with the rehabilitator who ended up with the bird I began to suspect that it might actually be a peregrine, so I made the trip to Atlanta and was a little surprised to find that it was. The bird was healthy, so I banded it and took it back to where it was found -- at the Four Seasons Hotel, 14th and Crescent. Two adult peregrines were in the air, and hotel workers said window washers had recently found a nest containing 3-4 young and had been buzzed by the birds. The nest is in a ventilation opening on the west face of the building just above the 20th floor. The nest is not actually visible, but some whitewash is present. This nest site is much more easily viewable that the other one, but cannot be viewed from inside the building. Probably all young will be flying within a few days. If anyone gets a good close-up look at the adults, please see if you can read any bands they might be wearing.

Jim Ozier Georgia DNR Forsyth