Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:20:33 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Michael L. Davis" <michael@BASSETTCONSULTING.COM>
Subject:      Re: JCL and SAS

Hello Patrick and other SAS-L Friends,

One other detail that might be helpful. For a client to start a SAS session on a host via SAS/CONNECT, SAS/CONNECT must be licensed and installed on both the client and host computers.

- Michael "Mad Doggy" Davis

At 11:41 AM 6/18/2003 -0700, Patrick.F.O'Neill@KP.ORG wrote: >Michael and SAS-L._all_ > >Thanks for this gentle correction, and it opens up new lines of thought >for me. > >I'll be trying to rsubmit from a PC to other hosts without SAS/SHARE. > >Yours, >Pat > >"Michael L. Davis" <michael@BASSETTCONSULTING.COM> >Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> >06/18/2003 10:57 AM >Please respond to "Michael L. Davis" > > > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > cc: > Subject: Re: JCL and SAS > > >Hello Friends, > >I think Patrick may be confused on an important feature of SAS/CONNECT. It >has little or nothing to do with SAS/SHARE (at least directly). When a >SAS >client (e.g., a personal computer) signs on, a spawner program on the host >(e.g., a mainframe) starts a new SAS session to which the client >connects. I've used SAS/CONNECT to submit work to Windows, Unix and >mainframe hosts where SAS/SHARE was not available. > >The SAS session on the host is unique to that SAS/CONNECT session. This >is >unlike the SAS/SHARE server session which may communicate with multiple >clients simultaneously. Unless the administrator has done some >customization, there are no libraries allocated to the SAS/CONNECT session >on the host other than the traditional SASUSER, SASHELP, and WORK librefs. > >- Michael "Mad Doggy" Davis > >At 08:58 AM 6/18/2003 -0700, Patrick.F.O'Neill@KP.ORG wrote: > >Dear Yanal, > > > >You have received some great answers about mainframe resources, classes, > >and policies. Let me add my beginner's $.02. > > > >Using SAS/Connect from the PC to the mainframe relies on there being a > >SAS/SHARE server running on the mainframe. When you do "sigon" from the > >PC, an **interactive** SAS session is opened by SAS/SHARE. The code you > >then "rsubmit" is handled in the interactive session, with all the > >freedoms or limitations that implies. > > > >Your informant focussed on the freedom from lining up in class A or G of > >the interactive session, but you will run into limitations. On some > >installations, interactive SAS cannot utilize data on tape. Also, the > >default WORK space could be much smaller than that for batch jobs. > > > >Your question, "to emulate what PC SAS does to run long jobs as a class A >in > >this case?", implies that you do not have PC-SAS. You could open an > >interactive > >session directly on the mainframe and submit code from there. You would > >no longer be in queue for class A. I suspect, though, that long jobs > >submitted like this would be against the spirit, if not the letter, of > >your installation's policies. > > > >Yours, > >Pat > > > > > > > > > > > >Yanal <fake@BYU.EDU> > >Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> > >06/17/2003 10:57 PM > >Please respond to Yanal > > > > > > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > > cc: > > Subject: JCL and SAS > > > > > >Hi, > > > >I am using a s/390 ibm mainframe. To write sas programs and run them, we > > use JCL. We classify the Job to be of class A if it takes less than > >two cpu minutes to complete, and G if it takes longer than that. > >A jobs execute immideatly, G jobs get in queue (which sometimes takes an > >hour or two to start). > > > >Someone told me that if you use PC sas to connect to the mainframe and > >run your program it will run as a class A no matter how long the job > >takes to execute. (using signon and then rsubmit on PC sas). > > > >If that is the case, then there is a way (i think) to emulate what PC > >SAS does in its communication with the mainframe to run jobs as class A. > > > >does anyone know if there is some JCL code or some other setting that i > >can use to emulate what PC SAS does to run long jobs as a class A in > >this case? > > > >thanks

Michael L. Davis Vice President Bassett Consulting Services, Inc. 10 Pleasant Drive North Haven CT 06473-3712 E-Mail: michael@bassettconsulting.com Web: http://www.bassettconsulting.com Telephone: 203-562-0640