Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:25:47 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Puddin' Man <pudding_man@LYCOS.COM>
Subject:      "Macro Compilation": was  /parmbuff
Comments: To: "Fehd, Ronald J. (PHPPO)" <rjf2@CDC.GOV>

Re: "Macro Compilation": was

--------- Original Message ---------

DATE: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 08:37:52 From: "Fehd, Ronald J. (PHPPO)" <rjf2@CDC.GOV> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Cc:

>> From: Roland [mailto:roland@RASHLEIGH-BERRY.FSNET.CO.UK] >> Is /parmbuff used much anywhere? I would think it would be >> handy where a macro string might contain commas and equals >> signs. > >the archives show Greg Barnes Nelson >posted the combo and permute macros back in 1996 >this is the most interesting usage of parmbuff >that I have encountered over the years: >parsing the parameter list for undeclared parameters > >Like recursive macro calls, >good for testing your understanding of computer language theory >and how the macro language has been implemented >-- remember: macro language is interpreted, >not compiled like SAS --

Ron,

As you know, the sas-l archives, the Onlinedoc, etc, are full of references to "macro compilation" and the like.

Lest some readers (even po' me) might be confused, perhaps you could elaborate as to the following:

1.) What components of the macro language are interpreted.

2.) What components (if any?) of the macro language are compiled. <g>

"Forgive me, Father, for I could not resist the temptation of asking ..." :-)

--- snip ---

Skoal, Puddin'

"Some got six months, some got one solid year. But me and my buddy, we got a lifetime here." -from "Viola Lee Blues", Noah Lewis, maybe 1927

____________________________________________________________ Get advanced SPAM filtering on Webmail or POP Mail ... Get Lycos Mail! http://login.mail.lycos.com/r/referral?aid=27005