Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:54:39 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mark Davenport <madavenp@OFFICE.UNCG.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Mitchell Meeusen's logistic question
Comments: To: Mitchell.Meeusen@mercer.com

Logistic regression would appear to be the logical choice--assuming that you are trying to determine the probability of someone being in the No (or Yes) category given particular values on a set of predictors. There is no reason why you can't use multiple predictors.

Go to Analyze--Regresion--Binary Logistic

Enter your IVs as covariates. My understanding is that Base SPSS has the Logisitc procedure so you should not have any problems. I would strongly suggest you look at a good book on logistic regression before you start. Interpreting logistic regression results can be tricky. Try Hosmer and Lemeshow's Applied Logistic Regression.

Mark

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Mark A. Davenport Ph.D. Asst to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs/Research and Evaluation The University of North Carolina at Greensboro 149 Mossman Bldg. Greensboro, NC 27402-6170 336.334.5099 madavenp@office.uncg.edu

'An approximate answer to the right problem is worth a good deal more than an exact answer to an approximate problem' -- J. W. Tukey

>>> "Meeusen, Mitchell" <Mitchell.Meeusen@MERCER.COM> 7/8/2003 4:45:21 PM >>> I've installed the base system. Here's the question I'm trying to answer. > I'm trying to run a regression, with five or six predictors on a single > response variable. The response variable is a flag variable, 1 for yes, 0 > for no. It is believed that logistic regression is the best way to do > this. Is this correct? > Now, given that I'm trying to run a logistic regression, I have multiple > independent variables, but there's only space for one of them. Is there a > way to run a logistic regression on a flagged dependent variable with > multiple independent variables? __

********************************************** This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged. If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing disclosing or using any information contained herein. Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you for your cooperation. **********************************************

ec03/04