Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:17:38 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Marks, Jim" <Jim.Marks@lodgenet.com>
Subject:      Re: is it possible using SPSS to  insert a period at the end of
              text              in a string variable?

Bob:

You can create a new variable and populate it using "CONCCAT"-- some untested samples:

STRING newvar (A40).

COMPUTE newvar EQ CONCAT(oldvar1,'.',oldvar2).

or

COMPUTE newvar EQ CONCAT(SUBSTR(oldvar1,1,5),'.',SUBSTR(oldvar1,6,10).

Jim Marks Senior Market Analyst LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation

-----Original Message----- From: Bob Green [mailto:bgreen@dyson.brisnet.org.au] Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 3:58 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: is it possible using SPSS to insert a period at the end of text in a string variable?

I am hoping to insert a period (full stop) after text in a string variable. There are hundreds of values (one per row). The string functions seem to offer methods to edit/split text but I could not find a command to insert text/a period.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Bob